Thursday, August 2, 2012

What to do next?

Well...it's been a while, so let's recap what's been going on and see where we are at now.

Operation Write Home- first box sent out had 37 cards cost $8.05 to mail. Deciding the better mailing option is Flat Rate for just over $11. Which means more cards, probably about 100. I'll put that on the back burner, but not too far back since there is a need for more cards...Heroes are requesting.

The Edible Garden- little by little it provides me with something other than fresh herbs to pick, like tomatoes, strawberries, blueberries, chives, peas, and onions. However, the fresh herbs are great for lots of things...especially my latest project of flavored vinegar!

Flavored Vinegar- Thanks to my neighbor for bringing me cute jars for the finished vinegar (I had been searching for a few years myself but never quite came across anything), I finally started the steeping process. I have one white wine vinegar, a red wine vinegar, and a rice vinegar steeping at this moment. All stuffed with fresh herbs from the garden, along with some dried garlic bits and tricolored peppercorns (peppercorns not added yet). The white vinegar has sage, rosemary, and thyme with garlic. The red has rosemary, oregano, and garlic. The rice has basil, dill, and garlic. They are all in a cupboard and I am waiting for 3-4 weeks for them to steep. I check in on them every other day and gently shake the bottle. Speaking of bottles...I couldn't decide what to steep in, then I thought, why not just use the current containers? Those have already been cleaned, they don't contain metal...perfect, right? Well, the only thing I've noticed is that the bottles don't seem air tight. Can't wait to see how they turn out. My neighbor gets her choice of one when they are ready (as a thank you for the storage gift bottles).

My birthday- fun day spent with various family members at various times throughout the day. Best part was how excited my 5 year old was to "surprise" me with a carrot cake that he and his Grampie made and my 14 month old daughter's excitement of helping me blow out my candles. (To the extent of her signing "again" to her father to re-light the candles so we could again blow them out.)

So, with all that...what next? Hmm...

I do need to make a card for a neighbor...a bride with coffee.

Until next time...smile!

No comments:

Post a Comment